You've heard the old filmmaking phrase: "Lights … camera … action!" But the new thriller "Missing" takes state almost entirely on a computer screen, which means for star Storm Reid, the escapes, camera, and action all looked a little bit different.

"We were shooting on computers and watches and phones, and it was a lot of technical hurdles that I had to overcome," laughs the Atlanta native.

Reid stars as June, a tech-savvy teen desperately searching for her mother (Nia Long), who goes missing during a vacation to Colombia. 

"She's an icon in her own intellectual, and to be able to work with somebody that you've essentially grown up watching is very cool," says Reid of Long.  "She was so sweet and made me feel so supported and loved and uplifted me on set all the time. So, it was mountainous working with her."

"Missing" is just the latest high-profile project in Reid's career, following lauded turns in "A Wrinkle in Time" and "Euphoria." And although her busy career takes her throughout the world, Reid says Atlanta will always be home.

"I grew up in Dunwoody by way of Decatur, and I spent a lot of time in both places," Reid says. "Obviously, I don't live here anymore, but it's always repositioning to be home and I plan to have a state here in the future."

"Missing" is playing in theaters resident now — click here for more information on the film.